[fusion_builder_container background_color=”” background_image=”” background_parallax=”none” enable_mobile=”no” parallax_speed=”0.3″ background_repeat=”no-repeat” background_position=”left top” video_url=”” video_aspect_ratio=”16:9″ video_webm=”” video_mp4=”” video_ogv=”” video_preview_image=”” overlay_color=”” overlay_opacity=”0.5″ video_mute=”yes” video_loop=”yes” fade=”no” border_size=”0px” border_color=”” border_style=”” padding_top=”20″ padding_bottom=”20″ padding_left=”0″ padding_right=”0″ hundred_percent=”no” equal_height_columns=”no” hide_on_mobile=”no” menu_anchor=”” class=”” id=””][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][fusion_text]One of the factors that determines the cost of car insurance is where a car places on the Canada’s most stolen cars list. As insurance brokers, we can tell you this information as well as take into consideration other factors to determine your car insurance premium before your make a purchase.
How to prevent your car from being stolen
The IBC offers some great advice on preventing car theft. Here are some common sense tips, especially during the holiday season when the high stress of rushing around shopping makes it more likely forget these key things:
- If your arms are full with packages while shopping and you think it’s a good idea to drop all your bags off in the car so you can go out for another round of gifts, make sure you place any packages or items in the trunk of your car out of sight. Thieves keep an eye out for freshly purchased gifts and leaving them in view will make it more appealing for thieves to break in and take your gifts and your car.
- Park in well-lit areas and never leave your vehicle running. Not only is leaving your vehicle running bad for the environment, but it only takes a thief a moment to hop into the driver’s seat and take your car if you’ve left it running with the keys in it. Don’t make your car a Christmas gift for thieves.
- If you have a garage, keep your vehicle safely put away at night. It is less likely that someone will break into your garage and take your car, than if it is sitting in plain view on the street.
- Avoid identity theft by keeping valuable documents in your home or other secure areas. Don’t leave mail, bills or others documents with personal information in your car. We have a great video about identity theft here (https://ogilvy.ca/personal-insurance/types-of-home-insurance-coverage/identity-theft-insurance/) if you’d like to learn more.
Is Your Car on the Top Most Stolen Cars List?
Although regional differences often show variations in which cars are stolen, the interesting observation on these two lists is the high frequency for the Toyota 4Runner. Check out which vehicles were most stolen, and see if your car is on the list.
Here is this year’s Top 10 Most Stolen Vehicles list for Quebec and Ontario:
Quebec Top 10 Most Stolen Vehicles:
Rank and Model
- 2015 TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4DR
- 2014 TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4DR
- 2013 LEXUS RX350/RX450h 4DR AWD SUV
- 2015 LEXUS RX350/RX450h 4DR AWD SUV
- 2011 TOYOTA FJ CRUISER 4DR
- 2015 INFINITI QX604DR
- 2008 BMW 335xi 2DR
- 2013 TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4DR
- 2014 LEXUS RX350 4DR
- 2002 LEXUS IS 300 4DR
Ontario Top 10 Most Stolen Vehicles:
- 2015 TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4DR 4WD SUV
- 2014 TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4DR 4WD SUV
- 2003 HUMMER H2 4DR AWD SUV
- 2015 CHEVROLET/GMC TAHOE/YUKON 4DR 4WD SUV
- 2015 LEXUS RX350/RX450h 4DR AWD SUV
- 2002 CADILLAC ESCALADE 4DR 4WD SUV
- 2015 ACURA MDX 4DR 4WD SUV
- 2011 LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER SPORT 4DR 4WD SUV
- 2004 CHEVROLET/GMC TAHOE/YUKON 4DR 4WD SUV
- 2005 CHEVROLET/GMC SUBURBAN/YUKON XL 1500 4DR 4WD SUV
Interested in finding out about which cars were stolen in other areas of Canada? You can check out the IBC interactive website, where you can choose the province from a drop down menu and see what cars are at highest risk of theft. For the United States, you can find out the most stolen vehicles at the National Insurance Crime Bureau.[/fusion_text][/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]